mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds - Joan Kilby Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1076I gotta be honest: I am a closet fan of romance novels. I started reading them way back in middle school (the torrid ones with the heaving bosoms on the covers), and while I don’t often read them now, I can certainly appreciate a good one. I’m a hopeless romantic as a direct result of my younger self’s obsession with them!Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is my first non-YA review on the blog, and as such – I’m a little disappointed that I could only give it a 3. But the story just didn’t live up to my expectations. It tried a little too hard to be everything to everybody.It was cute. It was fun. And I certainly enjoyed reading it. But…Oh yes, there’s a but.Maddie was too nerdy and then miraculously turned into the sex kitten she needed to be when necessary? Okay, so she was still a little clumsy – but it was just a little too neat and tidy for my tastes.And making Fabian a faux 007 just took the cliches right over the top.And to further add to the cliches was the writing itself."He wasn’t given to lurid descriptors but one word popped into his mind – she was luscious – with all of the life-giving, taste-tempting, juice sweetness of a perfectly ripe mango."I actually burst out laughing when I read that. Then I read it again. Then I bookmarked it on my Nook. Then I laughed again.And really, these things aren’t bad. The book was good! I enjoyed it! But they do prevent it from being great. And it is possible to write some really great romance (see: Diana Gabaldon).Bottom line: if you want to read a light and fluffy book about a nerd and a Bond-esque Englishman… this is the one to read.