mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1755I had such high high hopes for this book. Everyone I know who has read it has raved about it and highly recommended it. I was certain I would fall in love with it within a few pages and devour the entire series.Unfortunately, the book fell completely flat for me.It has potential, don't get me wrong. The basic premise of the series is fascinating. But the execution just flat out fails. The character development is lax, at best. The world-building is practically non-existent in the things that matter. I still don't truly understand what happened to make the world turn into Kate's world. I'm not entirely sure what happens in her world with the magic that comes and goes, but when it comes technology doesn't work? Something like that. And explanations of the difference between the People, the Order, and the Guild were not forthcoming.It feels kind of like there should have been another book before this one that really introduces you to the world and what's happening in it. Since that didn't happen, I found it difficult to follow along and never got invested in the story.Details were lacking from important scenes. Continuity was an issue in some places.Overall, this is just not my cup of tea. I'm sorry dear book bully Amanda, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I also bought 2 and 3 in the series, but I imagine they will sit on my shelf until I'm desperate for something to read.