mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

The Syndicate - Shelena Shorts Since I started posting reviews of the books I read, I’ve found that I’m a lot more critical than I used to be. I used to be able to just sit back and get lost in the story, regardless of the writing or any continuity issues. Now, I notice them and it can be somewhat distracting – even when the story is fantastic.This book was somewhat affected by this curse. It’s not until two-thirds of the way through the book that we even find out what the Syndicate actually is and who/what the Hybrids are. And frankly – I’m still not entirely positive of that story. It seemed to go “Once upon a time there was a creature that infected humans with something that made them change into killers and now we kill them.” The whole thing is really very vague.That being said, I truly enjoyed the story. I’m really hoping it’s the start of a series and not a stand-alone novel. The premise is fairly unique – a family organization that protects humans from the creatures that go bump in the night – but not vampires or werewolves or witches.Vasile, despite the odd name, is the best kind of a hero for a story. He’s very loyal but not to the point of blind obedience. Though he’s trained to kill, it’s only to take down the Hybrids. When his new assignment – to kill a human girl – seems to fly against the face of everything he’s ever been taught, he fights it – unwilling to taint his family’s history. And when he meets his intended victim, sparks fly.Vasi must find out what’s true and what’s a lie – before it’s too late.Enter below to win a copy of The Syndicate – and remember to follow your intuition!