mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Hammered - Kevin Hearne Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2293 (6/13/12)I watched the movie Thor the weekend before I started listening to this one. It was completely disconcerting to see Thor portrayed in such a negative light after watching the dreamy Liam Hemsworth play such a nice god. But truly - the Thor of this world is a douchenozzle.After hearing folks rail on him in passing throughout the previous two books, it was nice to finally get the back-story for why people wanted to see him dead. Plus, hearing both Leif and Gunnar's stories provided depth of character that we hadn't previously seen. Gunnar became more than just a hired gun; this story gave him character and personality and humanity that we hadn't seen before.The story-telling and world building in this installment of the series outshined the first two books. The only thing missing were two of my favorite characters - Oberon and Granuaile. Understandably, they couldn't accompany Atticus and the others into Asgard. Lucky for us, however, Kevin Hearne wrote about their adventure while Atticus was gone in the short story A Test of Mettle (hint: click the title to read it!)One of the best parts of this series is the humor that is continuously interjected. Atticus is a funny dude. Picture it: Atticus tries to explain to a 1000 year old vampire what a "squee" is - and offers examples for when he himself squees.Yeah, that really happened.How could you not want to go read (or listen!) to this one now?