mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Red Rain: A Novel - R.L. Stine Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2409 (8/8/12)This was one of the most highly anticipated books of the fall for me, and it ended up being one of the biggest disappointments of the year.It took me weeks to finish this one. It was never one of those books that I found myself wanting to pick up and finish. It was creepy, but not in a good way. Honestly, the twin characters were creepy. And really annoying. Their speech made me cringe (they constantly said "bruvver" instead of "brother"). They were predictable and banal. There was absolutely zero character development or world building over the course of the novel. I never became invested in any of the characters. Not even Mark Sutter - the man who was being framed.There really was no "aha!" moment or twist in the plot. It was pretty straight forward and it was known who the murderers were and what the supernatural bent was pretty early on. A twist was attempted at the very end, but it was poorly executed (as was the whole of the book).As Stine's second adult fiction novel, I think Red Rain proves that he should stick with writing for younger audiences.