mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Ever After - Kim Harrison Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2978 (2/6/13)The Hollows. Rachel Morgan. Al. Trent. Jenks. It was all here and wonderful in this next-to-last book in Kim Harrison's amazing series. The pacing of the writing is changing, now that the series is almost over. Time has passed, characters have grown and matured. Trent and Quen are fathers now. Rachel and Ivy's relationship has changed, yet remained doggedly the same.We all know that Rachel's middle name is Trouble. It finds her the way a dog finds bacon. And now that Rachel has finally gotten herself settled in the city and the world is content to let her live as she is - the demons threaten her existence. She definitely can't win for losing. But Rachel is loyal to her friends - regardless of race. And she will do whatever it takes to save the Ever After and her friends.I found myself wishing I had read Into the Woods before I read this. The time Trent and Jenks spent together taking Lucy from Ellasbeth (the story of which is told in that collection) was referenced several times, and I felt a little bit out of the loop - even though I wasn't actually missing any information relevant to the events of the current story.And Kim? You've got one book left to get Trent and Rachel together. Do it. You've been skirting this issue since Kisten - and he died in Book 5!Overall, this was my favorite book of the series so far. Each one just gets better. Kim Harrison is one of the few authors who can truly do character growth and development well - without retelling the same story over and over. If you love The Hollows and Rachel Morgan, you'll love this one - trust me!