mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray

I'm going to be honest: I hated this book when I started listening to it. It grated on my nerves and made me cringe.

Then I figured out it was satire and was supposed to (thanks to some nudging from Amanda).

Once I embraced it for what is was... it was epic y'all.

EPIC!

I couldn't get enough of it. Let's not even talk about the story yet- I'm talking about Libba Bray's narration. It was flawless. It was stupendous. It was freaking amazing. Want a taste? Check this out (watch the whole thing, but the audiobook portion starts at 2:20):

[click through to my blog to watch the video]

How can you not fall in love with that kind of performance?

Story-wise, I absolutely fell in love with all of the characters by the end. Yes, even Taylor. I must admit, I think my favorite parts were Tiara's one-liners at the end of the chapters. Even though at first they thoroughly creeped me out because of her voice.

I really don't have anything bad to say about this one. I'm not sure my opinion would have been quite as favorable if I had read it instead of listening to it, so I'm definitely glad I listened to it. There are footnotes. And commercials. And it's just... epic. Seriously, there's no other word for it.

And really- they need to make it into a movie. Yes, I really think that.

Source: http://www.mandikayereads.com/audiobook-review-beauty-queens-by-libba-bray