mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Born Wicked - Jessica Spotswood Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/632When I started reading this one, it took me awhile to get into the flow of it. The story started pretty slowly, but picked up about a third of the way through. If you find it starts too slowly for your liking, punch through – it’s worth it.This world is brilliantly devised and written. It seems to take place in the 19th century, but it’s hinted at that this is not the same 19th century from our past. This is a world where witches once ruled, but now the Brotherhood is the authority – seeking to subvert and oppress women. Every single trial and punishment I can recall from the book was a girl or woman – never a man. Women accused of witchery were either sent to an asylum or they mysteriously disappeared.This is the world Cate Cahill and her two sisters have grown up in – as witches. Cate has spent the three years since their mother died trying to protect her sisters and keep their secret, all while watching other girls from the town be accused, tried, and punished for witchery.I can’t imagine the strength of character required for Cate to stay sane while living through the events of this book. My heart aches for her – for the choices she was forced to make, and for the sacrifices she made.My only complaint with the book is that it ends in the middle of the story. I know that it’s a series and will pick up in the next book, but it always bothers me when *nothing* is tied up at the end of a book.