mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Across the Universe - Beth Revis Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/645Holy freaking cow.I haven’t had such a visceral reaction to a book like this in ages. From the beginning, my heart jumped into my throat – and stayed there until the end. Usually I have reactions like that to certain scenes or chapters, but not this time – Beth Revis is one HELL of a writer.I had to stop and put it down a few times today because certain scenes with Eldest were putting me in a bad mood – you should see some of my tweets from this afternoon!I think, for me, the best part of the novel is the way it makes you think. I always strive for spoiler-free reviews, so this will be difficult to explain well, but basically Revis asks the questions “Why is this person the way he is, but this other person who has lived in very similar conditions is completely different? and “Are lies necessary for the well-being of the masses?”It’s a delightfully wonderful moral and ethical dilemma that’s presented in this novel – but I think it’s clear on which side Revis firmly stands. Though it’s possible my opinion there will change once I read the sequel – though I have high hopes for the direction it will go.I did find myself thinking of the movie Wall-E while reading it, but the only similarities are that the ships in both are full of people who don’t know any other way of life.Again, I have to say – Beth Revis is one hell of a writer, and I can’t wait to pick up the next in the series.