mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Incarnate - Jodi Meadows Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/782Don’t you just love books that draw you in so completely that you stay up half the night to finish them without even realizing it?Incarnate is one of those books.I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect, especially since there has been SO much hype about this one. But from the very first chapter, I was bound to Ana and couldn’t put it down. I hadn’t realized that this was the beginning of a new series, so I very nearly ganked a whole star from my rating for the way it ended – I was going to be very upset if there was nothing after this one. But thank Google, because I found out there are at least two more books coming.There is nothing about this book that I didn’t love. Even though there were definitely characters I didn’t like (I’m looking at you Li), they all served a purpose – to make Ana who she was. Yes, a lot of who she was (especially to start with) was an insecure girl who felt worthless – but she was always full of such wonder and passion that it was impossible not to fall in love with her.Enter Sam.Sam is perhaps one of my favorite boys now. I like how being 5,000 years old (though physically 18) gave him a depth of character that we don’t generally see in YA heroes. His experience in life – his own passion and wonder for music and things in the world – allowed him to see Ana as something of insurmountable value. And he treated her as such.So swoonworthy.The best part of Ana and Sam, however, is that there is no love triangle in sight.And, there are dragons. What’s not to love?I still have so many questions about Janan and life in Heart. I really hope that a later book reveals how the souls came to be and who/what built the city they all live in. I imagine that it’s a fascinating tale.