mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Brightest Kind of Darkness (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #1) - P.T. Michelle,  Patrice Michelle Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/838 (2/13/12)I really need to start paying more attention to the books I read. I don't mean to the story. I had no idea this was a self-published novel until just now, when I had to look up the publisher. And knowing that makes all the difference - and added half a star to the rating because I found myself more forgiving of the technical issues.This story is some strange hybrid of Final Destination and something else that I haven't yet figured out yet. Quite frankly, I think it's brilliant. I was hooked from page one and didn't stop until I finished it. I adore books where I don't figure it out from the start. This one is far from predictable.The chemistry between Nara and Ethan blew me away. It's pretty close to what I remember feeling between Mac and Barrons in Karen Marie Moning's Shadowfever series. For that reason alone, I'd recommend the book. They get pretty steamy - without there even being any sex!But I digress.I mentioned some technical issues above. They were not major things, mostly grammatical issues or typos. The one thing that really gave me pause about the book was that there were a few scenes where something was referenced that the reader had no prior knowledge of it. It was confusing. The book moved back and forth between dreams and reality and also the past, present, and future. It made it somewhat difficult to keep up.An example: Inara has a dream early in the book where she has trouble with the zipper on her jeans and vows to destroy them (this was such a minor detail that I had to go back and find it because the later part confused me). Several chapters later, after many - important - things have happened, Inara's mom finds the destroyed jeans in the trash. I had no memory of the previous incident because it was so minor, and the zipper incident wasn't mentioned again, nor did we get to see Inara destroy them. It may seem like a small thing, but when I read it I was confused and ended up flipping back through the story until I figured out what the heck was going on.But those technical issues are minor enough, in the context of a self-published book, that I added a half star back into my rating.The book as a whole is really just that good.