mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

The Sweetest Thing - Christina Mandelski Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/905I was completely sucked into this one from the first page. I love to cook, and while I pretty much suck at baking I can truly appreciate the talent it takes to be a cake decorator. Reading about people who do the things I love to do is always a plus.Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as I'd hoped.The story was great - heart-wrenching in all of the right places. The writing was flawless, from a technical standpoint. But Sheridan's voice really bothered me. She really was the epitome of a selfish, spoiled child - and though she eventually grew out of it no one called her on it. She was fifteen, for crying out loud! She should never have been allowed to speak to/treat people the way she did without consequence. I get that she was hurting, but the way she acted wasn't okay. And I was a little baffled about why she acted the way she did. The whole mother/daughter drama really left a bad taste in my mouth. I can't imagine a daughter being that blind when a mother has abandoned her so completely. It just didn't work for me.And unfortunately, that piece of things has colored my opinion of the book. It *was* good. But it wasn't great because the main character wasn't very likable, the story lines were predictable, and the plot/character development ran a little thin.