mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Starters - Lissa Price Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1045 (3/5/12)Boy do I feel like an idiot right about now.I’ve had this book in my NetGalley queue since January 13. That’s a whole month and a half! I kept thinking that it sounded like a sort of interesting book, but that there were other things that were better. And to be honest, the cover just isn’t that appealing to me.Yep. I’m an idiot.I picked this book up and absolutely could not put it down. Few books have latched on to me quite as hard as this one did. It rivals Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden Trilogy and Beth Revis’ Across the Universe series.Seriously. It’s that good. Maybe better.Body renting.It’s so creepy, isn’t it? I spent the first half of the book thoroughly creeped out. A friend of mine kept telling me to punch it (yes, to punch the book) because I was so often IMing him “This book is creepy!” or “Seriously, this book is creeping me out!”But I still couldn’t put it down.The world-building is fabulous. Instead of telling you step by step how the world got that way, we’re just kind of thrown into it feet first. We learn things based on what the characters think and feel. To me, that seems more real than having a bunch of narrative explaining every detail.Callie was the best sort of heroine. She isn’t a super hero. She has no extraordinary powers. She’s an average girl who cares about people enough to do something when things aren’t right. She didn’t freak out. She didn’t turn into a silly blathering idiot. She was smart. She handled herself. She’s my kind of girl.I was completely unprepared for the cliffhanger ending. It seemed like most things had been wrapped up in a neat little bow, when BAM. Here it comes out of NOWHERE leaving you reeling and frantically hoping for more pages.For a debut novel, Lissa hit this one out of the park.