mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Bitten  - Kelley Armstrong Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1188I discovered Kelley Armstrong and this series a few years ago. Unfortunately, I didn’t start at the beginning! I actually started with Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic, but fortunately, this early in the series it wasn’t as bad a gaffe as it could have been.One of my very favorite things about a series is when the author creates a world and uses a series to tell the story of that world – not just of the same few characters. There are many main characters in this series – Elena, Paige, Savannah, Jaime, Eve, Hope… All of their lives intertwine and because of that, we see a much fuller world than we ordinarily do in a series that spends multiple books following the same one or two people.I hadn’t read Bitten in quite a while and 10 years have passed since it was written. Her appearance in more recent novels in the series is how I remembered her, so it was startling to see her where it all began. The character development and growth is quite remarkable.Elena is not my favorite of the women, but she is close to the top. She is quite the bad ass, particularly when those she loves are threatened. She reminds me of me – except for the whole werewolf thing.The relationship between Elena and Clay is the stuff romance novels are made of – but Kelley writes it in such a way that the action takes precedence. It’s a love story, but it’s so much more than that.Honestly, I just can’t give enough praise to the series or the author. Kelley Armstrong is, hands down, one of my all time favorite authors.