mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

The Invitation - Diane Hoh Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1242 (3/23/12)Ever read a book blurb and think that sounds really interesting, only to read the book and be grossly underwhelmed?That’s this book.I was blissfully unaware that this is a re-release of a 1993 MG book – turning things into e-books is all the rage these days – but honestly, it needs to stay in 1993.The idea is a fabulous one. But the execution? The execution of this book was painful to read. There was zero character development, the “twist” was truly silly, and the dialogue was shallow and banal.The only reason I give it 2 stars instead of 1 is because it had so much potential. The plot was good. The writing was not.Skip this one guys and gals.Trust me.And one final nitpick… I got an uncorrected proof via NetGalley. Yes, I understand it’s an uncorrected proof, but the sheer volume of typos was astounding. I couldn’t go a page without finding nearly undecipherable words (for some unknown reason, every time the word “friend” was supposed to be used, it said “Mend”. With a capital M). Not to mention the gigantic UNCORRECTED PROOF watermark splashed on every single page (Take note publishers: you don’t want to make reading the galley more difficult for us).