mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Generation - William  Knight Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1330 (3/30/12)Once again, I’ve managed to read a zombie book. Except this is a zombie book unlike any other.In 2001 scientists isolated a gene in the South American flatworm that regenerates damaged organs. Within 5 years, it had been spliced into the chromosomes of animals using a live retro-virus. If successful, aging could be stopped – even reversed, diseased or damaged organs could be regrown, and life could be extended indefinitely. Scientists are now working to modify the DNA of humans by injecting the virus.But there’s just one question left to ask… could there be a situation in which you would want to die but were unable to do so?After reading this book, the answer is emphatically yes.Interspersed throughout the story were chapters from the perspective of living corpses - those who had been infected by the virus and could not die, though their bodies were decomposing.It was quite horrifying.The book revolves around Aitch – Hendrix Harrison – an off-beat journalist who stumbles onto the story while investigating tales of ghost sightings. He is led to Dr. Sarah Wallace, a forensic entomologist, whose entire life’s research has just been destroyed by the pharmaceutical company developing the virus. Together they work to find out what the company is hiding while dodging murder attempts and accusations.It really is quite thrilling. Crime dramas aren’t usually my forte, but this one is definitely worth reading. My only negative comment is that there was a very predictable sex scene that added nothing to the story, and actually detracted from it from my perspective.