mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Making Piece: a Memoir of Love, Loss and Pie - Beth M. Howard Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1415 (4/6/12)When I first saw this book on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it. Food. Memoir. Yes, please! And I was not disappointed.Beth's story is like pie. Specifically, strawberry-rhubarb.It's bitter. It's messy. It's got some sweetness, too. Sometimes the ingredients get added in the wrong order, but it has substance, it will warm your insides and, even though it isn't perfect, it still turns out okay in the end.I was crying within the first thirty pages. Beth writes herself so well that I felt as if her words were my own. When her heart broke, mine broke right with her.When she began to rebuild her life, my heart rejoiced with hers.All I had to do was look around the room to see that you can lose your loved ones and still have fun, and not live like your heart is caged behind bars.Beth's journey was full of pain, sorrow, humor, kindness, and pie. Lots and lots of pie. I am inspired to bake pie - and lucky for me, there are recipes in the back of the book! I'm going to start with the Banana Cream Pie and then make the French Silk Pie (and according to Beth, this recipe is better than sex!).Bottom line - this is a memoir everyone should read.