mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Shadow Moon - Marilee Brothers Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1200Okay, moment of truth.I have to admit that while I find these books so utterly and completely ridiculous and over the top, I can't put them down when I'm reading one.That says a lot.I don't know what it is about these books, quite honestly.This installment was better than the others- it wasn't quite the three ring circus that was going on in previous books. There's no new guy- though I thought there would be for a moment there. There's no trip to faery, even though the fae do play a large role in this one. There is the introduction of a long-lost twin sister. But I can buy that, based on how the previous books led up to it.The government agency kidnapping added to the over-the-top feeling, but still- it was less ridiculous than the previous book.Things that bothered me:1. "It sounds like I have a whole stable of hot guys just dying to take me out. Not true."  Um, yes it is.  Boys are a commodity in this series. It's frustrating, unrealistic, and annoying to read.2. Allie manages to get all sorts of confidential information out of people. She asks a nurse she knows about her twin sister- born sixteen years ago- and miraculously gets all of the information she needs. Including a picture of her mom holding the twins the night they were born, courtesy of a former nurse, now turned Alzheimer's patient, who just happens to carry pictures in her purse of every single baby she helped deliver. How unrealistic is that? AND THEN she just happens to have a friend who is such a skilled hacker that he can find people who have fake names and have faked their deaths. Right.3. Trilby. This was her last visit and it was set up as some big emotional scene. Trilby is a character we've seen exactly one time in each book. And each time her visit was not necessary as she never added anything new to the plot development.4. "...and Luella Hoptowit, token Indian (feather, not dot)..." Are you freaking kidding me?5. Allie's mom can't iron the clothes because of her fae-blood aversion to iron. At first, I thought it was just a bad pun. But then it was explained. In detail. But modern irons don't contain real iron. LAME.But still, despite all of that, something about them has grabbed me. I've been pulled in. I truly want to read the next, and final, installment.