mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Hounded - Kevin Hearne Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1995 (June 1, 2012)On the surface, this seems like any other urban fantasy book I've read and loved. But really, it's one of the most unique books I've ever read.And let me just say, I loved it.Honestly, it was refreshing to read a book in this genre written by a man with a male main character. That almost never happens! At least, not in the circles I tend to stay in.Atticus is a fun dude. I love to listen to him talk. He's very formal in his narration (no contractions, even) but he knows how important speech is to fitting into the community (so that his 2000+ years don't arouse suspicion ) and is able to converse in the vernacular. I love it.Even though Atticus is the main character, he is not my favorite character. My favorite character in the series is his dog Oberon. Yes, you read that right, his dog. As a druid, Atticus has the ability to bind himself to his pet and teach him to talk in his mind. The two converse telepathically. And Oberon is just awesome.He may actually be my all time favorite character ever.Even if you don't think you'll like reading about the last remaining druid in a world where all of the gods of all of the pantheons are (or were) real (not to mention werewolves, vampires, and witches)... read it anyway (well truly, I recommend the audiobook). Oberon makes it worth it.