mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1466 (4/10/12)Note: This is a review for the middle book in a trilogy; as such, it may contain spoilers for the first book. Proceed at your own risk.It was different reading this one than it was listening to the audiobook for Delirium. I don’t know if the format difference is the reason, but I thought Pandemonium was better than the first one. It was a different story; it was a deeper story. In this book, Lena grew as a person and she grew into the strength she didn’t know she had in Delirium.At first, the two timelines threw me off a bit, but as the story progressed, I found I liked the way it was written. We were able to see the new, stronger Lena – but at the same time we got to see how she got there.I was apprehensive about a new love interest for Lena – but I also knew it was inevitable. I’m of two minds, however, when it comes to the character of Julian. He seems like a perfectly fine boy, but I feel like I didn’t see enough of him or his personality to truly feel the relationship grow; it actually seemed a bit forced and happened way too fast for me. His acceptance of who Lena was was just too tidy and convenient. People don’t change their whole ideologies overnight – even Lena wasn’t quite capable of that. And while I don’t fault Lena for trying to find happiness again, I was fully expecting the end of this book – which may have also driven my more negative feelings for Julian.Bottom line: If you enjoyed Delirium, you’ll adore Pandemonium.