mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult, Samantha van Leer Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2221 (6/29/12)This is one where I really had no idea what to expect. Jodi Picoult is very genre-oriented - and fairy-tale/fantasy isn't her usual genre.That being said, I was very pleasantly surprised. This one turned out to be three stories in one: we get Delilah's life, we get Oliver's life, and we get the fairy tale that Oliver was written into. That last part was the most surprising - I didn't expect it to be included. But it was the middle part that I thought was most inventive.The idea that the characters in a book exist outside of the story when the book is closed is a fascinating one to me. Especially since in this world they are, for the most part, completely independent from their characters (excluding Seraphima, of course). The book characters are simply roles they play when there is a Reader. When there is no Reader and the book is closed, they go about their own daily lives.There have been so many books where I have wished the characters were real and were actually my friends - and for Delilah, this came true. I found myself envious of her as I read the story. Some of my best friends can be found between the pages of a book - but they don't talk back to me.I definitely recommend this one - especially if you like a good fairy tale.