mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

The Lost Prince - Julie Kagawa Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2554Ethan Chase is all grown up.When we were introduced to him in The Iron King, he was a wee lad of four. Now, he’s 18! One of my favorite things for an author to do is world continuity. I love that we are still in the world of the Iron Fey that we fell in love with – but it’s twelve years later. Meghan, Ash, Puck – and even our favorite cat – all make appearances – but it’s a new generation of characters who are getting into trouble and saving the fey.And Ethan is in the middle of it all when he swore he would never get involved.At first, I was a little apprehensive; it was starting to feel a little like a simple re-telling of the original trilogy with a new setting and new characters. I was disappointed. But I pushed through and kept going and realized that wasn’t happening at all. Some things seemed a little similar, sure. YA novels do tend to seem a little formulaic, no matter how you look at them so perhaps that was unavoidable. But there was no love triangle (yay!) and in the end… I have to admit I prefer Ethan to Meghan.In the early books, there were times I hated Meghan. I thought she was downright stupid at times. I can remember yelling at her through my radio (I listened to the audiobooks). Ethan, while full of too much teenage angst that made me want to shake him, could at least see what was happening in front of him.Kierran is awesome. I figured out who he was instantly. I think anyone who had read the original trilogy would have figured it out as well, but just in case, I WON’T TELL YOU. He’s a wild card though. I can’t wait to see what Kagawa has in store for him in the future.I like that Kagawa rounded out the trio with a human. Technically, another human (but Ethan doesn’t count, since he’s a prince). Mackenzie is awesome. I adore her, to be honest. I love her personality. She’s a little overbearing at times, but I understand why she is the way she is. I get her. I have an inkling for where her character is going… and I’m not sure what I think about it. We’ll just have to see.Bottom line? If you liked the original trilogy, you’ll love this one too. Well, probably.