mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Breed - Chase Novak, Scott Spencer Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/2695What is this I don’t even.This book was not at all what I was expecting it to be.I don’t even know how to review it. It was crazy. Chase Novak (pen name for Scott Spencer) is one imaginative (read: sick) bastard.Alex and Leslie Twisden have an idyllic relationship. They’re so damned cute. The only hiccup is that they can’t get pregnant. Finally, out of desperation, they travel across the globe to one last doctor. This guy is more than a little hinky. But they go through with the treatment because they know another hopelessly infertile couple who got pregnant after visiting him. Fast forward ten years and we meet a set of twins who really don’t know their parents at all. Twins who are afraid of their parents, truth be told. They’re locked in their rooms at night with bars on their windows. Their once immaculate house is in ruins. Odd sounds come from the vicinity of their parents rooms and Alex and Leslie are becoming shells of their former selves. Leslie can’t even speak properly most of the time – and she used to be a very successful editor.The twins devise a way to escape and chaos (more chaos than we’d previously seen) ensues. We’re introduced to a gang of children just like the twins who live alone because their parents also saw the doctor to get pregnant.There is death. There is murder.But through it all, the parental love the Twisdens have for their children still manages to shine through. And for that, I have to give Novak mad props.If you like horror (well, it’s not really scary – only conceptually). Animal/human hybrids. Humans eating raw meat. Children locked into their rooms at night because their parents are afraid they might eat them. Murder. Mayhem.Yeah. Read this.If that’s not your cup of tea, you’ll probably want to pass.But if you pass, you’re missing out on a book that really is brilliantly written. Alex and Leslie are a couple whose love for one another never dies, despite the changes they are going through. Their love for their kids is always present, despite the horrifying consequences of the fertility treatment.While the general plot was predictable and set up from the beginning, there were a few plot twists that I didn’t see coming – particularly the ending – which made the read absolutely worth it for me.