mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Shades of Earth - Beth Revis Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/3145What’s the one thing that can ruin a young adult book faster than anything else?Parents.In the final installment of this trilogy, Amy finally gets her wish. Her parents are finally woken up from the cryo-sleep they’d been in for the last several months (well centuries, really) and the family is reunited. But the reintroduction of military personnel into Elder’s world changes everything.The parents wake up and, predictably, take over everything.And equally predictably, the world turns to shit. At every turn, the adults butt heads with Elder’s leadership. And Amy is stuck in the middle. How does she choose between the life she’s been living with Elder and the choices she’s been forced to make and her parents?I didn’t like this book. But I absolutely love that Revis wrote a book that I didn’t like. Let me explain!This world that Revis created is not an altogether unique world. Think WALL-E. It would have been all too easy for her to write a book that was full of cliches and story lines that went where you expected them to. But she didn’t. This book did have some predictability (see the previous comments about parents ruining things) but there were some things I absolutely did not see coming. There were moments that flat out angered me and made me put the book down. (Ed. note: Revis has a habit of writing characters that evoke enough anger from me that make me literally put the book down. I did the same thing in book 1.) There was death. There was mayhem. And I absolutely hated the ending. But it was realistic (okay, as realistic as a scifi book can be). Revis didn’t write a fairy tale. And I salute her for that.And through it all, it still remained thought provoking. Beth Revis is one hell of a writer and even when her writing makes me angry, I will always read it. She will always be at the top of my TBR list when she has something new out.