mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

Before I Wake - Rachel Vincent Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/review-before-i-wake-by-rachel-vincent-soul-screamers-6/I was prepared for this one to be fabulous – I just didn’t expect it to be as fabulous as it actually was.If I gave out ratings higher than a 5, this one would definitely achieve it.With each new installment of this series, Rachel Vincent opens up this world a little bit more. The characters continue to grow and evolve, including the bad guys. And she isn’t afraid to write death. I won’t tell you who – or how – but expect to be surprised and expect to mourn. When Kaylee died in If I Die, I was shocked – but I never mourned because I always knew she’d come back somehow. She is the main character after all. We’ve lost many characters in the series – Aunt Val, Meredith, Doug, Addison… just to name a few. But I was never affected by it until this book.Expect to feel emotional when you read this – and not just because there is death. I got overwhelmed for Kaylee when she had to deal with her classmates back at school. I wanted to reach through the pages and throttle them.Tod continues to be my favorite book crush (for now). And Sabine continues to annoy the ever lovin’ snot out of me. But she’s growing on me.I have to say – it’s rare for series to get dramatically better with each new book, but Rachel Vincent accomplishes that with this one. There’s one book left - With All My Soul – and then we’ll be finished with this world. I am sad, but really excited to see how it ends.