mandikaye

Mandi Kaye @ Never Too Fond of Books

With All My Soul - Rachel Vincent Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/3086 How do you begin to say goodbye to a series that you have adored for years?That’s something I’m going to have to do many times this year, and this is the first book I took the plunge with. While there have been others that I haven’t yet been able to read, this is one that even while in the midst of my hermitude I went straight to the store and bought on the day of release.I read it in a single sitting. Well, sort of. I kept putting it down to prolong the reading.And then I cried like a baby when it was over.Kaylee was a main character I didn’t like in the first book. Especially since my introduction to this series was via audiobook. I thought she was whiny, immature, and stupid. Then when Rachel @ Fiktshun started a reading challenge for the series, I thought I’d give actually reading the series a shot. And it was a completely different experience. I fell in love with all of the characters – including Kaylee. Over the course of the series her character grew from the whiny, immature girl into someone who would give everything to save those she loves.When it came time to read the final chapter of the series, I wasn’t ready to let go. I trusted Rachel to do right by the characters – she’s never steered us wrong – but saying goodbye is always so damned hard. And then she had to go and introduce a brand new character in the last book! Who does that?! Ira was quite the character. He reminded me quite a bit of Al from The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, truth be told. That means he was a demon I liked and wanted to see more of. But since we didn’t meet him until the final book, I probably won’t get my wish.This book had everything we’ve grown accustomed to in a Soul Screamers novel – kidnapping, threat of death, impending doom, Avari stalking Kaylee, creeper vine wounds, demons, succubi, and above all – friends and family banding together to best evil.All in all, this was a beautiful and fitting end to the story. I couldn’t have asked for a better ending.But ya know – just because this series is over and done with doesn’t mean this has to be the end of this world. Hear that Rachel? I hear a spin-off just calling your name…